audio-video

Re: [Audio-video] [gnu.org #867973] Re: Urgent: please fetch these audio

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] [gnu.org #867973] Re: Urgent: please fetch these audio and video files
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 11:22:28 +0100

Hello Richard.

On 2013-11-09 at 03:00, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Please publish them. [longer videos]

Will do.

>     other hand, most of the short videos are difficult to reuse.  Many of
>     them contain just a single point and last less than a minute; they were
>     useful to somebody who had to make some point in the past, but even the
>     original intention is now lost.
>
> I don't understand the problem -- I don't understand what "original
> intention" means, concretely.

You are right, I wasn't completely clear.

Let me show you an extreme example: this 12-second video
http://ageinghacker.net/incoming/rms-videos-from-nicosas-cesar/Stallman_Perens_rome_9_-_Perens_vs_stallman_approach.ogg
is about whether it's useful to explain what free software is to a large
audience when everyone but two people already know.  I deduce from the
file name that you and Bruce Perens had a different opinion about that,
at least according to the person who cut the video; whoever named the
file wanted to highlight this very minor point.  I don't think it's
productive to carefully classify and publish recordings like this, in
most cases.  Other videos seemed to me to be quite similar in nature,
and not too different in length.  Of course I haven't watched everything
yet.

> If a short video makes a single point,
> just think about whether that point is useful for us.  If so,
> post the video and say it makes that point.  If not, don't post it.

If I can make these decisions myself it will become easier.  Thank you.

> What's hard about that?

You authorizing me to decide whether something is worth publishing
solves essentially everything.  Now it will just take some time.  We
have 103 files for a total of 2.2GB, most of which are short or shortish
(only 3 files are over 100MB; 2 of these 3 seem to be the same video in
different formats), and writing the legal metadata as a text file plus
the HTML description plus uploading may take longer than watching a
video, particularly in the current clunky system in which it's easy to
delete information by mistake.  I'm tempted by the idea of using GNU
recutils to automate the process a little, but since the switch of
audio-video.gnu.org to MediaGoblin seems to be imminent, the effort
would probably be wasted.

However, don't worry.  I think I'll do this in the evenings, a little at
a time.

Regards,

--
Luca Saiu