autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Serial lines for Automake

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Serial lines for Automake
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:23:06 +0200

Hi Francesco,

 > A git-pourcelain/git-hook approach could avoid running git-log + grep
 > over more than 500 macros on each dist target run (the count get
 > worse if the dist target fails ...).

how would that procedure work? I am aware of the fact that there are
hooks in Git, but I don't know what exactly they do or when they are
triggered.

 > We will need to keep the numbering scheme coherent, once it is
 > stable: we shouldn't decrease a macro serial once it has been
 > released ... we could lead into user related problems otherwise.

I see is one particular problem with those serial lines. Say the Archive
distributes a macro AX_FOO at version X. Now Joe Doe downloads the file,
patches AX_FOO, and re-distributes it on his homepage. How can Joe
compute a serial "X + 1" that won't conflict with a version that the
Archive might distribute some day?

The Archive has tried to provide accurate version information for the
last 6 years or so, but to be honest, it never worked well because of
that problem.

Take care,
Peter