autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: suggested workflow for macro testing?

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: suggested workflow for macro testing?
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 10:18:34 +0200

Hi Filippo,

 > I'm in the process of creating new macros (the save/restore flags
 > ones) and I would like to know if you have any workflow to test
 > results from autoconf macros with high turnaround (e.g. interactively
 > like m4 -i).
 >
 > Just creating a dummy configure.ac might do the trick though, what do
 > you recommend?

yes, this is what I've been doing. I usually create a small dummy
project and use that to develop and test the macros. Unfortunately,
those dummy projects tend to be thrown away a while after the macro is
finished. I haven't yet figured out how to turn that development
environment into a regression testing environment.

Clearly, some sort of test infrastructure for Autoconf macros exists,
because the Autoconf distribution has a massive amount of regression
tests, but I don't know how that system works or whether it could be
easily adapted to our needs.

Take care,
Peter