autoconf-archive-maintainers

[patch #7979] AX_BOOST_PYTHON: use correct Python version

From: Daniel Müllner
Subject: [patch #7979] AX_BOOST_PYTHON: use correct Python version
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:21:44 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

The AX_BOOST_PYTHON macro uses AX_PYTHON internally to find the include
directory for the Python headers. I propose to switch to AX_PYTHON_DEVEL.
Aside from being the more canonical choice for the job, this has the following
crucial advantage:

Unfortunately, AX_PYTHON always reports the first Python interpreter it finds.
As far as I know, there is no way to tell AX_PYTHON which Python version to
use on systems where both Python2 and Python3 are installed. AX_PYTHON_DEVEL
is better in this respect, as it takes the variable PYTHON_VERSION into
account (which is set by the macro AM_PATH_PYTHON). As a consequence, a call
to "./configure PYTHON=python2" with an autoconf script containing

AM_PATH_PYTHON
AX_PYTHON_DEVEL
AX_BOOST_PYTHON

sets the header and include directories for Python2 but still links to
libboost_python3 instead of libboost_python.

This is fixed in the attached patch. Required changes are very minor. I do not
see anything that could cause incompatibilities with old code.

File Attachments:

Date: Mon 25 Mar 2013 06:21:42 PM GMT  Name: ax_boost_python.m4  Size: 4kB
By: muellner

<http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/download.php?file_id=27684>