Re: Portability of "mv -f"

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Portability of "mv -f"
Date: 21 Sep 2000 18:10:18 -0700

Ian Lance Taylor <address@hidden> writes:

>    Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 06:50:43 -0400 (EDT)
>    From: Pavel Roskin <address@hidden>

>    How portable is "mv -f" used in autoheader.sh? If it is, I believe we
>    should switch to using it everywhere to avoid any unwanted
>    interactivity.

> I believe that mv -f is fully portable.  I think the only portable
> options to mv are -f and -i.

I know that cp -f definitely *isn't* portable.  I forget where it
misbehaved, but it was a bug report against one of my earlier packages.
Unfortunately, it was for an old Makefile whose revision history I didn't
save when I rewrote the package as a Perl module.  SunOS, maybe?

I don't know if that follows for mv or not.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>