Evaluating ${prefix} etc. in AC_OUTPUT?

From: Pekka Savola
Subject: Evaluating ${prefix} etc. in AC_OUTPUT?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:04:57 +0300 (EEST)

Hello all,

I'm a novice at autoconf; After browsing through the tututorials and
manuals, but couldn't find anything relating to this.

I'd like to be able to create man pages etc. on the fly so that they could
reference the files, directories, etc. as they really are.  This can be
done, at least partially, with AC_OUTPUT.  However, there is a major
problem with that approach:

For example, putting '@etcdir@/prog/config' in prog.1.in and running that
through AC_OUTPUT would yield only something like
${prefix}/etc/prog/config'.

What I'd like is to have the macro evaluate ${prefix} too, so that when
you configure --prefix=/usr/local, /etc or whatever, the output would be
fine (like '/usr/local/etc/prog/config').

Is there a way of doing this?

Please Cc:.

address@hidden      not those you stumble over and fall"