AC_PROG_CC not working

From: Morten Eriksen
Subject: AC_PROG_CC not working
Date: 06 Oct 2000 15:47:55 +0200

Hi,

I don't see the expected behavior from the AC_PROG_CC macro. This
configure.in file:

-->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8--

AC_INIT(configure.in)
AC_PROG_CC(foo bar supercompiler)
AC_OUTPUT()

-->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8--

..will generate this output:

-->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8--

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for object suffix... o
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking for EMX OS/2 environment... no
checking for executable suffix...
checking for foo... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
creating ./config.status

(This is with the latest Autoconf sources from the head CVS branch.)

The obvious reason for this behavior is that AC_PROG_CC requires
AC_PROG_CPP to run before the AC_PROG_CC macro body. This will then
pick up the gcc compiler (if present) and then use the cached value
for CC, no matter which compilers we specify for AC_PROG_CC.

Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Regards,
Morten