Re: Why is srcdir passed as .

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Why is srcdir passed as .
Date: 26 Oct 2000 06:44:55 -0200

On Oct 25, 2000, Ben Woodard <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am having a problem with my configure script where when configure is
> called for the subprojects a parameter --srcdir=. is passed into them
> when I just do configure.

srcdir is supposed to be the top-level directory of the project (or
subproject), not the top-level of the whole tree.

The rationale is that you can just grab whatever set of packages, put
them as sub-directories of your package, create a top-level configure
and Makefile and everything will just work.

If instead --srcdir were passed as the top-level directory, you'd have
to adjust every sub-package so as to ``know'' it's been packaged

Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see
Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden,}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden,}