ac_cv_prog_gcc

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: ac_cv_prog_gcc
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 09:43:02 +0100

Hi,

With autoconf-2.13, I have been using constructs like the one below
to detect whether gcc is used:
[Similar constructs are used in libiberty, libgloss, newlib and
Cygwin's winsup]

if test $ac_cv_prog_gcc = yes; then
# do something
fi

This test relies on the value of ac_cv_prog_gcc. With CVS-autoconf,
however,

if test $ac_cv_prog_gcc = yes;

gets expanded into

if test $ac_cv_c_compiler_gnu() = yes;

I am not sure if this is a valid shell expression at all. At least
it doesn't give the expected result and breaks configure scripts
which have been working with autoconf-2.13.

[Yes, I know, I could have used $GCC instead of ac_cv_prog_gcc :)]

Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung
(FAW)
Helmholtzstr. 16, 89081 Ulm, Germany     Tel: +49/731/501-8690
mailto:address@hidden           FAX: +49/731/501-999
http://www.faw.uni-ulm.de