Where did the Cygwin and Mingw checks go?

From: Mo DeJong
Subject: Where did the Cygwin and Mingw checks go?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:53:59 -0800 (PST)

I did a cvs update and now my configure scripts that were
working a couple of months now seem to be broken.

It seems that the AC_PROG_CC is no longer checking
for a Cygwin or Mingw environment.

% cat configure.in

AC_INIT(foo.cpp)

AC_PROG_CC

AC_OUTPUT([Makefile])

( This is the old output )

% ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no

The config.log looks like:

configure:857: checking for mingw32 environment
configure:873: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
configure: In function `main':
configure:868: `__MINGW32__' undeclared (first use in this function)

Cache variables:
| ac_cv_cygwin='no'
| ac_cv_emxos2='no'
| ac_cv_mingw32='no'

( But now, I get the following: )

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix...

Where did the Cygwin and Mingw checks go?

A quick looksie at the ChangeLog says they were removed
for some reason.

2000-10-12  Akim Demaille  <address@hidden>

        Don't run _AC_CYGWIN, _AC_MINGW32, _AC_EMXOS2.

2000-05-23  Akim Demaille  <address@hidden>

       * acspecific.m4 (AC_CYGWIN, AC_EMXOS2, AC_MINGW32): AU defined to
        nothing.  Replace them by...
        (_AC_CYGWIN, _AC_EMXOS2, _AC_MINGW32): these, which are
        automatically called by...
        (AC_EXEEXT): this.

Why was this done?

It gets even more strange. If I go ahead and
add these macro calls by hand, then still
do not get called:

% cat configure.in

AC_INIT(foo.cpp)

AC_PROG_CC