Re: Where did the Cygwin and Mingw checks go?

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Where did the Cygwin and Mingw checks go?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:57:01 +0100

Eric Christopher wrote:

> > Mo> Whats the deal?
> >
> > That's the result of our hesitations about this issues, and the fact
> > that we couldn't even come up with a precise definition of what EXEEXT
> > and OBJEXT are.
> >
> > For a start: are they related to host, or to build?
> >

> They are (IMHO, of course) related to the output of the compiler on the
> platform that is being built for in one case and the host building for
> the other.
Hmm.

> So a solaris cross cygwin compiler would define EXEEXT to be
> .exe, however, OBJEXT would be .o because it was compiled on a solaris
> box.  On a cygwin box, compiling natively EXEEXT would still be .exe,
> however, OBJEXT would be .obj since the object files are residing on the
> cygwin box.  Similarly a cygwin cross solaris toolchain (a weird, but
> possible thing) would have EXEEXT be blank, and OBJEXT would be defined
> as .obj since we're compiling on windows as the host.
>
> Make sense?  Any disagreements?

I am not sure about these two cases:

1) cross (cross-tools)
configure --build=`config.guess` --host=i386-cygwin

2) target-native (`config.guess` := yyy, target-tools/libs)
CC=i386-cygwin-gcc configure --build=i386-cygwin --host=i386-cygwin

Further issues arise when installing *.[o|obj] files:
i.e. a compiler's chain's startup files or customized startup files
(a very common case for embedded systems).

Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung
(FAW)
Helmholtzstr. 16, 89081 Ulm, Germany     Tel: +49/731/501-8690
mailto:address@hidden           FAX: +49/731/501-999
http://www.faw.uni-ulm.de