Re: err... this is odd

From: Mirar
Subject: Re: err... this is odd
Date: 27 Nov 2000 13:26:17 +0100

Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

 > | The following autoconf code:
 > | AC_CHECK_FUNC(gettext, [AC_DEFINE(HAVE_GETTEXT)],
 > |         AC_CHECK_LIB(intl, gettext, [LIBS="$LIBS -lintl"
 > |                                      AC_DEFINE(HAVE_GETTEXT)],
 > |                          INTLIBS="" ))
 >
 > Improperly quoted.
 >
 > AC_CHECK_FUNC(gettext,
 >               [AC_DEFINE(HAVE_GETTEXT)],
 >               [AC_CHECK_LIB(intl, gettext,
 >                             [LIBS="$LIBS -lintl"
 >                              AC_DEFINE(HAVE_GETTEXT)],
 >                             [INTLIBS=""])])

Thanks, that fixed that problem.

 > Mirar> autoconf (or autoheader?) also complains on the use of AF_UNIX
 > Mirar> and AF_INET inside tested C code in configure.in, but it's kind
 > Mirar> of hard to test socket code without using those #define's.
 >
 > This will be solved very soon.  Sorry about the temporary
 > inconvenience.  But note configure is still created and is usable.

No problem - since it still works, I just thought I should mention it.
I guess more warnings is a good thing overall. :)

But I got this warning:

 | configure.in:32: warning: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS: you should use literals

But the code actually scans the subdirs:

 | for a in `(cd $srcdir ; echo *)`
 | do
 |   if test "$a" != "CVS" -a "$a" != "RCS" ; then
 |     if test -d "$srcdir/$a" ; then
 |       if test -f "$srcdir/$a/configure.in"; then
 |         yesno=`eval echo \\$with_$a`
 |         if test "x${yesno-}" != xno ; then
 |           dirs="$dirs $a"
[...]
 |         fi
 |       fi
 |     fi
 |   fi
 | done
 |
 | AC_SUBST(MODULE_LINKOPTS)
 | AC_SUBST(MODULE_SEGMENTS)
 |
 | AC_SUBST_FILE(dependencies)
 | dependencies=$srcdir/dependencies
 | AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS($dirs)
 |
 | AC_OUTPUT(Makefile,[],dirs="$module_names")

Is this illegal? Why?
How should it be solved instead (automake is not the answer)?

/Mirar
(it's not my code)