Re: OpenBSD 2.7

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: OpenBSD 2.7
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 13:57:14 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Peter!

> > In general, Automake should add a dependency on config.status for every
> > file created by it.
>
> (The scripts are not created by config.status, but anyway...)

You are right. Perhaps I didn't sleep enough this night :-/

> Of course doing that is not a feasible option, so before long you're going
> to have to realize that complete dependencies are not practical.  It
> sounds very absurd anyway if you make changes in the build system and
> expect the very same build system to recover from that.

Indeed, if I have a project in C and the version is hardcoded in one of
the object files, the executable will not be rebuilt when I touch
configure.in.

Doing otherwise would mean either rebuilding the whole project or
determining by some magic which object files have the version hardcoded.

> I.e., you might want to consider removing the explicit rule.  How often
> does one change the version number?

I already suggested it, but with your arguments I feel much better about
doing so.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin