Re: is $* the complete path?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: is $* the complete path?
Date: 15 Dec 2000 01:47:44 -0500

%% Assar Westerlund <address@hidden> writes:

  aw> While building the current autoconf with gnu-make 3.75 I've had
  aw> problems in `man', since $* did get expanded to the complete path of
  aw> the dependency and not just the file name.  I've seen similar
  aw> behaviour from other instances of make, and while not knowing what is
  aw> the correct way for making to behave here I think some extra care
  aw> doesn't hurt.

The $* variable always expands to the entire part of the target filename
which _doesn't_ match the suffix.

If the suffix is ".x" and the target is "foo.x", then $* is foo.  If the
target is "/bar/baz/biz/foo.x", then $* is /bar/baz/biz/foo.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/