OBJEXT and latest CVS autoconf?

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: OBJEXT and latest CVS autoconf?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 22:41:10 -0500

I'm testing the latest CVS automake and autoconf on the NTP source base.

I have a script that quickly fires off 3 different configure option
builds (in separate directories) on about 6 diferent machines
simultaneously.

This set of builds uses a single NFS-mounted (OK, on one machine it's
local) source tree.

I'm getting messages on several of the machines that say:

 checking whether the C compiler works... cat: cannot open conftest.c
 no
 configure: error: C compilermake: *** No targets specifmake: *** No targets
specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

This has never happened before.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can help track this down?

Harlan