Re: Patch for autoconf/145

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Patch for autoconf/145
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:03:09 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Akim!

> I don't think I will study this tonight, but please, at least mention
> the work Derek has done and sent to address@hidden

I lost every hope to catch up with address@hidden :-(
Indeed, it was discussed there, and Derek even proposed something similar
to my patch.

I feel very badly about this :-(((

Of course Derek will be mentioned.

However, I'm not going to take anything from his patch, i.e. edit the
VPATH line, remove some parts of it and strip colons. This would go too
far. Also it won't address the problem described in autoconf/145, namely
that Autoconf doen't understand line continuation.

I also don't want to remove anything except @address@hidden This is recommended
by the Autoconf manual. This is what Automake writes. Everything else,
even $(srcdir), should be left intact because it's not standard, and
Autoconf is not Makefile Police to detect it.

Leaving an empty line shouldn't be an issue. I don't think anybody else
just considered that it's better to preserve line numbers of the template.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin