Re: [Akim Demaille <address@hidden>] Re: Shell crash on SunOS 4.1.3

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: [Akim Demaille <address@hidden>] Re: Shell crash on SunOS 4.1.3
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:37:53 +0100

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 09:09:53PM -0500, Harlan Stenn wrote:
: Akim,
:
: address@hidden> sh
: $ foo=`cd / 2>/dev/null`
: $ echo ,$bar,
: ,,

In case noone else sees it, you assigned to $foo and output $bar, so
the result is naturally empty.  You should probably try again without
mixing test 1 and 2 if Akim is to get anything useful out of it...

: > | Akim,
: > | address@hidden> sh
: > | $ foo=`exit 12 2>/dev/null`
: > | $ echo $foo
: > |
: > | $ bar=`(exit 12) 2>/dev/null`
: > | $ echo $bar
: > |
: > | $ (PATH=. ; echo baz )
: > | echo: not found
: > | $
: >
: > I'm lost.  I thought it was the redirection of `cd' which was wrong,
: > and though it would be the same for all builtins...  So indeed I
: > understand that echo is not a builtin, but exit must be a builtin, and
: > it does not show the `illegal io' message :(
: >
: > I'm a bit lost here.
: >
: > foo=`cd / 2>/dev/null`
: > echo ,$foo,
: >
: > bar=`cd /foo 2>/dev/null`
: > echo ,$bar,
: >
: > baz=`exit nonsense 2>/dev/null`
: > echo ,$baz,
: >
: >
: >
: > Maybe `exit' has no error message at all?
: >
: > exit nonsense
: >
: >
: >
: > What builtin could issue message?  If someone understands what
: > happens, please speak up!
: >
: >
: > Thanks Harlan!
: >
:

--
Innovation is one percent inspiration and ninetynine percent perspiration,
and in my case; twice that...  -- Norville Barnes, `The Hudsucker Proxy'