Re: AC_CONFIGURE_HEADER from subdirectory

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: AC_CONFIGURE_HEADER from subdirectory
Date: 02 Mar 2001 09:52:04 +0100

Rasmus Tamstorf <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up a project that has most of the configuration related
> files (including configure.ac and acconfig.h) in $SRCDIR/config, but it's
> causing me some grief, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

Sorry for my quicky and stupid answer :(  I'm quite busy and meant to
answer a few messages.  Had I taken more time to read, configure.ac
would have answered my question...

> First off, if I run 'autoconf' from $PROJECT I have to tell it where to
> find 'configure.ac', but when I do that output gets sent to stdout instead
> of 'configure' :-/ I can, of course, pipe it to 'configure' but then I
> have to chmod it before actually running it. Is there a good reason for
> this ? Why doesn't it just save output in 'configure' unless (somehow)
> specifically told not to do so ?

Use -o.

> In order to work around this I simply run autoconf from $SRCDIR/config,
> which works for the most part. However, I'm getting into trouble with
> AC_CONFIGURE_HEADER. I'd like config.h.in to live in
> $SRCDIR/config/config.h.in, so I've tried :
>
> AC_CONFIGURE_HEADER(config/config.h)
>
> This works fine with 'autoconf', but when I want to create config.h.in
> with 'autoheader' I get an error :
>
> mv: cannot create regular file `config/config.h.in': No such file or directory
>
> If I take out the 'config/' part, both autoconf and autoheader run fine,
> but the generated 'configure' script complains that
>
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: config.h.in
>
> Is there a way to achieve what I want ? I've been trying to look through
> the documentation, but this is pretty new to me, and I'm not sure that I
> understand all the idioms.

What you want to do, indeed, is extremely non standard.  I don't know
whether we want to go into this, we might hit bad problems related to
locating the various files (just what you ran into).

Nevertheless sending patches, or a test case for the test suite is a
good means to get what you want :)