Rename atomicity

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Rename atomicity
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:00:18 -0500

Anyone ever tried to come up with a test for whether a rename across
directories on the same file system/partition is atomic?  The best I can
come up with is to rename a large file in a background process and try
and kill it real quick, but I don't think that would remain reliable
across a wide variety of platforms and hardware.

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )
mailto:address@hidden     OpenAvenue ( http://OpenAvenue.com )