installation instructions on OpenBSD and FreeBSD

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: installation instructions on OpenBSD and FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:38:34 +0100 (CET)

Marc Espie, maintainer of gcc for OpenBSD, wrote:

> The gcc that is the system compiler on OpenBSD is never going to look under
> /usr/local.

The same problem affects also FreeBSD and NetBSD.

Therefore I propose the following changes to the INSTALL file. Apart
from *BSD, it also treats the HP-UX and BeOS platforms. They are each
special in their own sense.

I'm going to use this patch in the next gettext release.

Bruno

*** INSTALL.orig        Sun May 25 18:17:24 1997
--- INSTALL     Sun Mar 11 16:49:42 2001
***************
*** 119,124 ****
--- 119,147 ----
  you can use the `configure' options `--x-includes=DIR' and
  `--x-libraries=DIR' to specify their locations.

+ Particular Systems
+ ==================
+
+    On FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, the compiler doesn't search include
+ files in /usr/local/include, and the linker doesn't search libraries in
+ /usr/local/lib.  Therefore some packages won't find other packages
+ installed earlier.  To overcome this problem, it is recommended to use
+ the following options:
+
+      env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure
+
+    On HP-UX, the default C compiler is not ANSI C compatible.  If GNU CC
+ is not installed, it is recommended to use the following options in order
+ to use an ANSI C compiler:
+
+      env CC="cc -Ae" ./configure
+
+    On BeOS, user installed software goes in /boot/home/config, not
+ /usr/local.  It is recommended to use the following options:
+
+      CPPFLAGS=-I/boot/home/config/include LDFLAGS=-L/boot/home/config/lib \
+      ./configure --prefix=/boot/home/config
+
  Specifying the System Type