Re: updated win32 macro

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: updated win32 macro
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:56:43 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <address@hidden>

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 09:12:57AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

CFLAGS
> >> from the top level.  In my current tree, I've had to add additional
> >> stuff to the Makefile to get things to work.
> >>
> >> I think that setting CC=stuff will suffer from the same problem.
> >>
> >> So, I think we will have to make changes to both configure.in and
> >> Makefile.in, unfortunately.
> >

> >I think that Earnie was having success building unaltered packages
with
> >CC=gcc -mwin32 ./configure ...
> >
> >I would really like to minimse the alterations needed outside of
> >configure.in - can you think of any package in particular likely to
have
> >trouble with CC=gcc -mwin32 ? (So that we could test it)
>
> Yes.  If you configure this way in the tcl directory and then cd ..,
the
> tcl directory won't build because CC is overridden by the toplevel
make.

> If you use CC='gcc -mwin32' configure in the top-level, then we might
> as well just get rid of -mwin32 completely.  This will cause every
> single package to be built with -mwin32 whether it needs it or not.
>
> IMO, I don't think it is a good idea to override CC anyway.  It may
> be a quick fix but it will lead to confusion if/when people say
> 'make CC=something'.
>
> cgf

So in a nutshell, because some packages change CFLAGS, and others change
CC, we require everyone to change their Makefiles ?

I agree that overriding CC is bad - thats why it was changed to CFLAGS.
But CFLAGS is the standard way of changing the compiler behaviour - why
do the makefiles over ride that? And how common a practice is that?

In fact, on second thought, packages that override CFLAGS just use the
low level interface
AC_PROG_CC_WIN32
EXTRA_CFLAGS="$WIN32FLAGS"

Rob