Re: autoconf test ': >emtpy' problem under Ultrix

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: autoconf test ': >emtpy' problem under Ultrix
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:39:22 +0100 (CET)

Akim Demaille writes:

> Peter> The reason (which is documented somewhere in the auto* manuals)
>
> I don't know where.

autoconf.texi

@node Automatic Remaking,  , Build Directories, Makefile Substitutions
@subsection Automatic Remaking

[snip]

The @file{stamp-} files are necessary because the timestamps of
@file{config.h.in} and @file{config.h} will not be changed if remaking
them does not change their contents.  This feature avoids unnecessary
recompilation.  You should include the file @file{stamp-h.in} your
package's distribution, so @code{make} will consider @file{config.h.in}
up to date.  On some old @sc{bsd} systems, @code{touch} or any command
that results in an empty file does not update the timestamps, so use a
command like @code{echo} as a workaround.

--
Peter Eisentraut      address@hidden       http://yi.org/peter-e/