Re: Confusing/bogus message in config.log

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: Confusing/bogus message in config.log
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:29:19 -0500

"Lars J. Aas" wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 11:29:14PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> : Lars J. Aas writes:
> : > : A Gnits dude would probably prefer
> : > :
> : > : configure (AC_PACKAGE_NAME) AC_PACKAGE_VERSION
> : > : generated by GNU Autoconf AC_ACVERSION
> : >
> : > Or
> : >
> : > configure (AC_PACKAGE_STRING)
> : > generated by GNU Autoconf AC_ACVERSION
> :
> : I would agree, but the GNU standards are pretty clear about this.  I think
> : the idea was that (e.g.)
> :
> : `any_program --version | sed -n '1s/^.* \([^ ][^ ]*\)$/\1/p'`
> :
> : should be able to return something useful with any program of a package.
>
> The GNU coding standards also say that the line directly following the
> version line should be the copyright statements, so neither of the above
> suggestions comply.

Not sure except that I would like to see "configure", "AC_PACKAGE_STRING",
"AC_VERSION_STRING", and "generated by GNU Autoconf AC_ACVERSION" in there.  I
think the package version number is going to make deciphering bug reports
easier for other package maintainers.  At the least, they may not have to ask
the, "Uh, what version?", question.  The package name should make things easier
on us, and the "generated by" message should make things easier on new users as
well as us.  Did I miss anything?  :)

I also don't see a reason why it would be very useful to maintain a version on
a configure script separate from the pacage version.  Anyone else?

I glanced at the GCS and I'm not sure how I'd fit all that information in the
current standard.  Maybe:

    AC_PACKAGE_STRING configure (generated by GNU Autoconf
AC_ACVERSION) AC_PACKAGE_VERSION

I'm not sure I like this, but its a start.  It doesn't quite fit, but if you
assume that the GCS was specifying standards for installed programs and that
this program was installed by Autoconf and won't be installed by the package in
question, it seems to hone to the spirit fairly.  Maybe (both intended for a
single line):

    AC_PACKAGE_STRING configure (generated by GNU Autoconf AC_ACVERSION for
AC_PACKAGE_STRING) AC_PACKAGE_VERSION

or

    configure (generated by GNU Autoconf AC_ACVERSION for
AC_PACKAGE_STRING) AC_PACKAGE_VERSION

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )
mailto:address@hidden         CollabNet ( http://collab.net )

                - Claude Rains as Captain Louis Renault, _Casablanca_