Re: Release next week?

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Release next week?
Date: 10 Apr 2001 14:48:39 +0200

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

Russ> I hate to say this, but C *is* pretty portable, and you can
Russ> probably assume that all maintainers who use autoconf have a C
Russ> compiler available.  I suppose that the sort of string
Russ> manipulation that autoconf wants to do is pretty much a
Russ> non-starter in C?

Really, no, not C.  We want a scripting language, we want easy support
for regexp, we want to split lines of text, to pipe, to system, etc.
IMHO, C is not suited for the Autoconf drivers.  It's probably what
means your last sentence :)