AC_CHECK_LIB - other libraries not shared

From: Joe McAlerney
Subject: AC_CHECK_LIB - other libraries not shared
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 10:25:02 -0700

Hello,

I searched through the full raw archive for relevant information, but
did not come up with anything that fit my exact problem.  My apologies
if I missed something.

I am attempting to use AC_CHECK_LIB to check for the existence of a
library X.  As the documentation states, you must provide other
libraries if linking with the X will result in unresolved symbols.  One
of the "other libraries", libntp, is not installed as a shared library,
so I don't AC_CHECK_LIB is actually finding it, and hence failing.

My question:  Is there a way to check for the existence of X without
checking for unresolved symbols?  Libntp can be installed in an
arbitrary location, so checking for it is probably not feasible.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Joe M.