Re: Release candidate

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Release candidate
Date: 14 May 2001 17:50:50 +0200

| > > |
| > > |

| > Maybe it would be more helpful to write "possibly undefined macro: xxx",
| > along with a description in the documentation, if you don't have one
| > already.

Good idea!

| Maybe I don't see what others see.  To me,
|
|         FOO=bar
|
| looks like a shell variable assignment.  I don't understand why
| autoconf (apparently) treats this as a macro invocation.

Because autoconf does not parse sh code, it has no idea it is an
assignment.

And anyway it is a _feature_: nothing prevent AM_CFLAGS from being a
macro expanding into a valid lvalue.  And in this case you want to
know it has not be expanded.

It suspects AM_CFLAGS because it looks like an Automake macro.