$lib-config (Re: how to use libraries in /usr/local)

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: $lib-config (Re: how to use libraries in /usr/local)
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 23:26:13 +0200

Bruno Haible wrote:
> [...]
> Another totally different approach is to recommend that every
> library libfoo comes with a script 'foo-config' in /usr/local/bin that
> can spit out the required -I and -L options. Here as well, autoconf
> support would be nice, so that the resulting -I/-L options would be
> substituted into the Makefile.

I strongly feel that this is already established as good practice
for libraries. A generic version is mostly sufficient, e.g. one created by
http://cryp.to/autoconf-archive/Miscellaneous/ac_create_generic_config.html
that is quite imperfect nonetheless extraordarily useful for me.

(*hmmm* lately, debian maintainers notified me, that one does even have
  to write a man-page for a $lib-config script - everything that goes into
  $/bin must have one, according to the rules, even a $lib-config script..)

cheers
-- guido                    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/ac-archive
31:GCS/E/S/P C++$++++ ULHS L++w- N++@  d(+-) s+a- h.r(*@)>+++ y++ 5++X-