Re: question about sysconfdir

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: question about sysconfdir
Date: 01 Jun 2001 15:44:03 +0200

Peter> Akim Demaille writes:
>> This behavior is mandated by the GNU coding standards, so that when
>> the user runs:
>>
>> `make' she can still specify a different prefix from the one
>> specified to `configure', in which case, if needed, the package
>> shall hard code dependencies to her late desires.

Peter> I fail to find the section of the GNU standards where this is
Peter> mandated.

Couldn't find it either, but it's somewhere in there.  Not directly,
but via the statement that

./configure
make prefix=foo all

is the same as

./configure --prefix=foo
make all

>> A corollary is that you should not use these variables but in
>> Makefiles.  For instance, instead of trying to evaluate `datadir'
>> in `configure' and hardcoding it in Makefiles using e.g.
>> `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(DATADIR, "$datadir")', you should add
>> `-DDATADIR="$(datadir)"' to your `CFLAGS'.

Peter> That should be CPPFLAGS.

Thanks!