Re: detecting required libraries in AC_CHECK_LIB

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: Re: detecting required libraries in AC_CHECK_LIB
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:06:12 -0400

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 05:49:41PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Steve M. Robbins writes:
> > I expect that one cannot do so in general.  But I'll take a partial
> > solution, if there is one.  On linux, at least, "ldd" will
> > tell me which other shared objects libfoo links against, so this
> > info is embedded in the shared object.
> If the info is embedded in the shared object then your work is done
> because the dynamic loader will automatically load the dependent libraries
> at run-time.  The case you're concerned about is when this has not been
> done (shame on that package),

Well, I'm seeing a linker failure, e.g.

        /usr/bin/ld: warning:, needed by /usr/lib/, not
found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)

I interpret this to mean that the shared objects required by
are encoded in it.

The link line includes -L/usr/X11R6/lib, in which and (to which the former is symbolically linked) are
located.  So I don't understand why the linker won't find libXext.

Are you suggesting that my installation of X11R6 is broken?  Or that
my link line is broken?

The link line, btw, is

        gcc -g -O2 -o Display ... list of .o files ...
        -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lglut -lGL -lGLU -lX11 -lXmu -lm

Thanks for your help,

by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,
by Taxi to the Airport,