Empty --prefix

From: kettenis
Subject: Empty --prefix
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 01:46:06 +0200 (CEST)

I'm pretty shocked to learn that configure scripts generated by
autoconf 2.50 no longer allow me to use an empty --prefix
(i.e. ./configure --prefix= ).  This is standard practice when
configuring packages for the Hurd, since we pretend we can do without
/usr.  Of course I can specify --prefix=/, but that's rather ugly,
since it results in path names that start with a double /.  Would it
be possible to allow an empty prefix again in the next autoconf
release?

Thanks,

Mark