Re: autoconf 2.5, 2.13, and Vim

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: autoconf 2.5, 2.13, and Vim
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:05:47 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Akim Demaille <address@hidden>
> Date: 12 Jun 2001 16:44:09 +0200
>
> Including if we just use the $ac_includes_default?

I'm not sure I understand this question.  Presumably
ac_includes_default should work on all hosts, even AmigaOS or other
non-POSIX hosts, and this means ac_includes_default should wrap
sys/types.h inside '#if HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H'.  If all tests include
ac_includes_default, and if ac_includes_default includes a wrapped
sys/types.h, then there's no reason for a test to include sys/types.h
explicitly.  Hence all tests will wrap sys/types.h.  This is not a
maintenance burden, as the wrap occurs only in one place.

However, if we have a conscious policy to wrap all include directives,
then many changes are needed (more than the changes that you proposed,
as we'll need to wrap all the other headers, too), and I'm not sure
it's worth the hassle.  These changes will ripple through to
user-visible recommended behavior.  For example, we'll need to change
the documentation for AC_HEADER_SYS_WAIT, change the example for
AC_CHECK_MEMBER, etc.

It's a question of style, not a question of correctness; and I'm not
sure the style is right.

> If you say so, then I'll remove them.

Personally I'd like to hear other people's opinions.  So far we seem
to have one "wrap everything" (you), one "don't bother with any of
this" (Russ), and one "wrap just the tests that should succeed on
non-POSIX hosts" (me).  So far I seem to be holding the center, but
perhaps that's just because we haven't heard the way-out opinions.
:-)