Re: Default values for infodir and mandir [WAS: Re: [autoconf] doc dirs

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Default values for infodir and mandir [WAS: Re: [autoconf] doc dirs?]
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:37:36 +0200

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> -8<-
> >  AC_SUBST([infodir],        ['${prefix}/info'])dnl
> > +AC_SUBST([docdir],         ['${datadir}/doc'])dnl
> >  AC_SUBST([mandir],         ['${prefix}/man'])dnl
> >

> In my simplistic mind having three places for documentation isn't
> logical.  I can understand leaving switches for infodir and mandir in
> place for backward compatibility but shouldn't there values default to
> ['$(docdir)/info'] and ['$(docdir)/man'] instead.  IIRC this is what the
> FHS recommends.

IIRC, the FHS recommends to move mandir and infodir into $datadir/(man|info)
instead of the current ac-default for $prefix/(man|info). The same goes
for the ubiquitous /usr/doc-dir - the $docdir shall change from $prefix/doc
to $datadir/doc, i.e. a default of /usr/share/doc.
Newer linux distros do already follow the new fhs, and it is partly easy
for distromakers as they can `configure` all ac-software invariably
with $mandir and $infodir presettings. However this is not true for
other documents, most prominently htmldocs and docbooks.
The simplictic approach of another oh-so-global -*dir option is
probably fine for the moment.

Since we are at it, are there plans to change the default for infodir
and datadir from $prefix to $datadir ?