Re: AC_C_BIGENDIAN vs. Darwin

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: AC_C_BIGENDIAN vs. Darwin
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:45:25 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Matt Watson <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:55:26 -0700
>
> My vote too. How often does configure come across a system which doesn't
> have a macro defining the byte order?

Fairly often.  Solaris 8 has two macros (_BIG_ENDIAN and
_LITTLE_ENDIAN), but autoconf 2.50 doesn't know about it.  Neither
does OpenSSH 2.9p1.  So AC_C_BIGENDIAN works only for native compiles.

Fixing this is notrivial, unfortunately.

> I've done this for now in the Darwin OpenSSH sources:
>
> #if (defined(BYTE_ORDER) && defined(BIG_ENDIAN) && (BYTE_ORDER ==
> BIG_ENDIAN)) || defined(WORDS_BIGENDIAN)

If this is rijndael.c, then you also need to include <sys/param.h>
or whatever before that line.

Also, if you want to throw in cross-compiles for Solaris 8 while
you're at it, append "|| defined _BIG_ENDIAN".

(This is an indication of why the fix for autoconf isn't trivial.)