Re: bad config.h on Solaris 8

From: Ed L Cashin
Subject: Re: bad config.h on Solaris 8
Date: 02 Jul 2001 20:39:50 -0400

Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

> | Recap of problem: configure script doesn't generate config.h on the
> | basis of results from tests.  Removing config.cache and rerunning
> | configure yeilds a correct config.h.
> |
> | > What version of Autoconf?
> |
> | 2.13 and 2.50.
>
> Hm...  Does autoconf 2.50 complain when you run it?  A common mistake
> consists is explained below.  Please, check your configure.in and aclocal.m4.
>
> Caching Results
> ===============
>  - Macro: AC_CACHE_VAL (CACHE-ID, COMMANDS-TO-SET-IT)

Ah-ha!  I see that autoconf's generated test for the existance of
config.cache looks like this:

  if test -r "$cache_file"; then
    echo "loading cache $cache_file"
    . $cache_file
  else
    echo "creating cache $cache_file"
    > $cache_file
  fi

I've found that saying "test -r" is not reliable on Solaris.  I only
get consistent results if I use the full path.  Changing the above
test to the following fixes the behavior:

  if /usr/bin/test -r "$cache_file"; then

--
--Ed Cashin                   PGP public key:
  address@hidden       http://www.terry.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/