Re: Portability of find(1)

From: Sascha Schumann
Subject: Re: Portability of find(1)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:00:11 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm looking for information on the portability of find(1).  Please,
> send me everything you know.  In particular, I think I'm understanding
> that `{}' is portably replaced by the argument only when alone, i.e.,
> exactly

    '{}' can only be used portable, if it is a separate argument.

    Also refer to SUSv2 which says on this topic

    -exec utility_name [argument..] ;

    [..] A utility_name or argument containing only the two
    characters {} will be replaced by the current pathname. If a
    utility_name or argument string contains the two characters
    {}, but not just the two characters {}, it is
    implementation-dependent whether find replaces those two
    characters with the current pathname or uses the string
    without change.

    http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/find.html

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg