Re: PCCTS?

From: Dale E Martin
Subject: Re: PCCTS?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:43:54 -0400

> "savant system"?  If you post the complete macro then i can modify
> it to be generic for any package.

Savant is the name of the project that I wrote the macro for.  Note I'm not
any kind of autoconf expert, this is just the macro I wrote way back for
this.  I'll attach my acinclude.m4 which contains the full macro and not
too much else.

> > And I also have a fallback that can use an environment variable PCCTSROOT:
>
> That's not too bad.  What would be cool is if pccts installed a pkg-config
> specification.

I don't know what you mean by this, but if I knew I could probably help
make it happen upstream.  Could you elaborate for me?

> > PCCTS is kind of a special case in that it has .cpp files that need to be
> > compiled but doesn't have any "official" library (static or shared) that
> > goes with it.  I copy those files into my working dir and build a local
> > library of them for my own system.
>
> i'm just using C (not C++).  Is there really that much boilerplate support
> code to justify creating a library?

Well, there are a few files and they have to be compiled.  In my mind that
justifies a library.  Otherwise everyone handles this problem slightly
differently - either copying the code in and getting out of sync from time
to time, or something else.

> Dunno.  i'm pretty satisfied already.

Yes, the current Makefile seems to work fairly well - it's just the lack of
a standard place for the headers and the "precompilable" stuff that is the
minor annoyance I see.  A "make install" could address both of those
issues.

> A really minor improvement that
> would be appreciated is to clean up the generated code a little bit to
> avoid triggering so many compiler warnings:
>
> config.c: In function `conf_empathy_file':
> config.c:113: warning: unused variable `zzaRetPtr'
> config.c:113: warning: unused variable `zzpf'
> config.c: In function `conf_pattern':
> config.c:178: warning: unused variable `zzaRetPtr'
> config.c:178: warning: unused variable `zzpf'
> config.c: In function `conf_context':
> config.c:226: warning: unused variable `zzaRetPtr'
> config.c:226: warning: unused variable `zzpf'
> config.c: In function `conf_constraints':
> config.c:279: warning: unused variable `zzcnt'
> config.c:271: warning: unused variable `zzaRetPtr'
> config.c:271: warning: unused variable `zzpf'
> config.c:296: warning: label `fail' defined but not used
> config.c:298: warning: will never be executed

I've discussed this with him and I think he's willing to tackle it.  It's
been some time since I've discussed it with him though.

Later,
        Dale
--
Dale E. Martin, Clifton Labs, Inc.