Re: Repost: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS problem

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Repost: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS problem
Date: 24 Oct 2001 16:28:16 +0200

| Earnie Boyd wrote:
| > Are you using Cygwin or are you cross compiling using Linux?  It appears
| > to me as if you've used the wrong switch, you want --target not
| > --build.  I may be wrong, I've never cross compiled.
| > If you're using Cygwin you need to:
|
| > CC='gcc -mno-cygwin'
|
| > configure --host=mingw32 --build=mingw32 --target=mingw32
|
| I am using linux and cross-compiling but that is not the point.  I can
| generate the same problem using any build/host/target type, even if it
| is the type of the system that I am using.
|

| What I wrote in my last letter was just an example.  This is what I
| *actually* use (if that helps):
|

| ./configure --host=i686-mingw32msvc --target=i386-mingw32msvc
| --build=i386-linux
|

| And the subdir configure is called with:
|
| ./configure --host=i686-mingw32msvc host_alias=i686-mingw32msvc
| --target=i386-mingw32msvc target_alias=i386-mingw32msvc
| --build=i386-linux build_alias=i386-linux
|

| This causes the subdir configure to fail because it interprets the
| "host_alias=...", "targer_alias=...", and "build_alias=..." as host
| types.  Like I said in my last two letters, I believe this is a bug,
| but I don't know...

I don't think it is a bug in the sense that it was meant to help the
transition from 2.13 to 2.50, because it the meanwhile the definitions
of build, host, and target have been clarified.

But I agree it might be time to improve the situation and move
definitively to the newer semantics.

But for such a change, I need Alexandre's opinion.