Re: configure --help has incorrectly formatted help

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: configure --help has incorrectly formatted help
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 03:40:25 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Akim Demaille <address@hidden>
> Date: 25 Oct 2001 12:29:12 +0200
>
> Paul> C is older and (like Cobol and Fortran) the tradition is
> Paul> fixed-width.  I have used C with varying-width fonts with some
> Paul> success, though never with the GNU indenting style (which isn't
> Paul> quite right for varying-width fonts).
>
> Precisely!  Then, what in just a few words, how does it differ?

Basically, don't assume that things line up unless all the preceding
characters are equal.  For example, instead of:

  while (a
         && b
         && c)
   {
      dddddd (f,
              g);
   }

you write something like this:

  while (a
      && b
      && c)
    {
       dddddd (
         f,
         g);
    }

Here the "a" and "b" just happen to line up in a fixed-width font
(which is even nicer than GNU style in my opinion, as they are at the
same syntactic level), but that's accidental.

The style I actually used was more K&R style, but I've tried to make
this example as close to GNU style as possible.