Re: Combining Multiple Packages Together

From: Brian Minard
Subject: Re: Combining Multiple Packages Together
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:31:20 -0500

On October 28, 2001, Tim Van Holder wrote:
 > > How is this normally done?
 >
 > I don't think this is done often. Basically, autoheader builds
 > config.h.in based on a single configure.ac. In order to share a
 > config.h among packages, you'd need a config.h.in as well. While you
 > can probably create this from the separate config.h.ins, but why
 > would you want to?

I guess another way to look at the issue is to ask if there are any
circumstances in which config.h needs to be modified by hand?

Perhaps a comment in config.h that simply says "do not modify this
file; use configure instead" is enough.  (I've seen a few programs
which do not use Autoconf and require tailoring of something like
config.h.)