autoconf-2.52 not a speed demon ?? --

From: Paul Townsend
Subject: autoconf-2.52 not a speed demon ?? --
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 02:21:48 -0500 (EST)

=====
Ladies and/or Gents,

I know this mail address is for suggestions but I'm not sure the bug mail
address is appropriate either.  I just upgraded from autoconf-2.13 to
autoconf-2.52 and either I have done something incredibly stupid (an
always present possibility) or the 2.52 version does its thing extremely
slowly.  Below are the 2.13 and 2.52 runs of `autoconf' using a modified
"configure.in" from the OpenSSH distribution.  According to `time', the
2.52 version takes about 15-20 times as long to execute as the 2.13
version.  Have I screwed up somewhere?  Another indication of slowness
is the 3 hours the 2.52 version takes to execute its own "gmake check".
Most of the time seems to spent in `gm4' followed by `nawk'.

--    Paul Townsend (address@hidden)

FYI - the SS5 workstation has an 85 MHz cpu.

=-=-=-=-=-=
#2381 address@hidden = uname -a
SunOS aab.cc.purdue.edu 5.6 Generic_105181-29 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5
#2382 address@hidden = /usr/share/opt/autoconf/bin/autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.13
#2383 address@hidden = time /usr/share/opt/autoconf/bin/autoconf
configure.in:9: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compil
ing
configure.in:485: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:588: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:716: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:775: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:1207: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross com
piling
configure.in:1522: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross compiling
configure.in:1529: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross compiling
configure.in:1814: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross com
piling

real    0m9.58s
user    0m5.01s
sys     0m0.97s

#2384 address@hidden = autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52
Written by David J. MacKenzie.

Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001
Free Software Foundation, Inc.
#2385 address@hidden = time autoconf

real    2m56.21s
user    1m48.34s