Re: autoconf: _m4_divert_diversion

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: autoconf: _m4_divert_diversion
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:39:16 -0500

Joe Foxton wrote:

> I'm trying to build the PHP source on Cygwin with an extension.
>
> Heres the end of the output I get when I run buildconf.
>
> rebuilding configure
> ./aclocal.m4:814: error: m4_defn: undefined: _m4_divert_diversion
> ./aclocal.m4:360: PHP_SUBST is expanded from...
> ./aclocal.m4:814: the top level
> rebuilding main/php_config.h.in
> autoheader: error: shell error while sourcing /tmp/ah976/traces.sh

I've seen these when converting from autoconf 2.13 to 2.52.  Is there a
reason why you're needing to run autoconf on an existing package?  Or
does the Makefile that's created do that for you?

> I'm an absolute amateur in all things automake/autoconf.
> I've been told to try downgrading to autoconf 2.50 (which didn't make a
> lick of difference), and I am running automake 1.5.

If you were told to downgrade, whom ever told you to do that must have
meant to downgrade to autoconf-2.13 and automake-1.4.  Downgrading to
2.50 isn't recommended by people in the know.

Use version autoconf-2.52 and automake-1.5.

Look for a directory containing .m4 files other than aclocal.m4 (I don't
know your package so I don't know if there is one).

aclocal -I <directory with .m4 files>
autoheader
automake
autoconf

If you still get the error, then ask the package maintainers where the
m4 functions are defined because they're not in the package.

Earnie.