Generating binary releases

From: David Richard Larochelle
Subject: Generating binary releases
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 18:31:04 -0500

Hi all,

I use autoconf for a software package.  make dist is great for creating a
source tar ball.  But we would also like to release precompiled binaries.  The
package contains a lot of support files so we would like a to be able to use
the make install feature the copy the files.

I've tried making a source tar ball and compiling it and then compressing
that.  However, make install insists on recompiling the entire package if the
user runs configure.

I'm thinking of hand writing alternative makefiles to include with the binary
release but I'm looking for a cleaner solution.

Any suggestions.

I've searched the web and autoconf documentation for the answer to this
question.  I apologize if I overlooked something obvious.