Re: Autoconf digest, Vol 1 #593 - 7 msgs

From: Mitch Davis
Subject: Re: Autoconf digest, Vol 1 #593 - 7 msgs
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:43:50 +1100

From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>

> In another mail you indicate you're using g++.  I don't use g++
> myself, but perhaps you can investigate why it's misbehaving.
> Does gcc work on the above code for you?  Does g++?  If gcc does
> not work, something is wrong with your installation, as it works
> for me.  If gcc works but g++ does not, you need to investigate why.

There is one and only one difference between gcc and g++:
g++ implicitly includes -lm and -lstdc++ when linking.  All
other phases (preprocessing, compiling, assembling) are absolutely
identical.  The GNU compiler determines the language of the source
by the filename extension, not by the name used to invoke
the compiler.

In my opinion, lots of people use g++ when it might be more
correct to say gcc; the cause of Peter Simons' problem has
naught to do with whether gcc or g++ is used.

Off-topic I know, but it's at least more interesting than the
spam which has been allowed onto this list of late.  Does anyone
moderate this list?

Regards,

Mitch.
--