Re: Auto update of config.[guess|sub]

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Auto update of config.[guess|sub]
Date: 21 Jan 2002 15:50:10 -0700

>>>>> "John" == John D Burger <address@hidden> writes:

John> I understand that the autotools are, increasingly, designed to
John> be used together, but autoconf is extremely useful all by
John> itself.  Thus it sees odd to me that automatic installation of
John> config.guess and friends is supported by the other autotools,
John> but not autoconf.

This is a historical artifact.  The functionality was introduced by
automake at a time when autoconf was unmaintained.  I think migrating
this stuff (plus aclocal, as has been discussed many times previously)
into autoconf would be a good goal.

Tom