re: How to check for a GNU userland

From: matthew green
Subject: re: How to check for a GNU userland
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:22:13 +1100

i think that most target tuples that `config.guess' generates have the
OS version included.  certainly i can't think of anything except linux
that doesn't :-)

   As you can see, different output by different config.guess scripts.
   Also notable, the config string doesn't tell you I'm running an ELF
   system (for i386 it is i386-netbsdelf1.5 or even i386-netbsdelf1.5.3,
   apparently), but it really is ELF:

   (real)~$ file $(which file)
   /usr/bin/file: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

   This is a comment in one of the config.guess scripts:
           # The Operating System including object format, if it has switched
           # to ELF recently, or will in the future.

   conclusion: Big Mess(tm). =)

FWIW, we (netbsd) plan on removing the 'elf' part 2 major releases after
the port went ELF.  eg, for i386 & sparc that will be after the next
release, as they both were ELF first in the current release.  other ports
(such as the m68k, vax and sh) haven't yet switched in a release (though
most will be for the next release) and others (like powerpc, mips and
alpha) have been ELF for several releases.

.mrg.