Re: How to use cache variables

From: akim
Subject: Re: How to use cache variables
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:56:16 +0100

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 03:06:59PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> > Thomas> (such as AC_CHECK_LIB ;-)
> >
> > I must have lost the track here.  Many people have asked for its
> > modernization, but this precisely never happened because of backward
> > compatibility issues.  I guess you are referring to some change, but I
> > can't remember which one.
>
> iirc, the first bug I spotted in 2.50 was that AC_CHECK_LIB had changed
> the naming convention for the associated cache variable so that checks
> for the same function in more than one library would no longer work.

Actually, since the message exchange, I digged into a few bug reports,
and fell onto a bug report about 2.50 (which was fixed them) that does
seem to refer to what you meant.

Indeed, there was a backward compatibility issue with AC_CHECK_LIB (and
I apologize for it), but really, it was a bug, not something intentional.

So, Thomas, maybe my subconscience is working for you and against me, but
wrt that particular point, nothing was meant against AC_CHECK_LIB :)