Re: Difficulty with configure in libtool-1.4.2

From: Matt Schalit
Subject: Re: Difficulty with configure in libtool-1.4.2
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:25:26 -0800

Tim Van Holder wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 08:51, Matt Schalit wrote:
> >
> > I'm not experienced with enough platforms to tell why
> > line 5148 in libtool-1.4.2 configure doesn't call grep -e:
> >
> >       if { (eval echo configure:5149: \"$archive_cmds 2\>\&1 \| grep \" -lc
> > \" \
> > >/dev/null 2\>\&1\") 1>&5; (eval $archive_cmds 2\>\&1 \| grep \" -lc \"
> > >\>/dev/n
> > ull 2\>\&1) 2>&5; }
> >

> > Doesn't grep -e exist on your computers?  On my unix box,
> > which is UnixWare 7.1.1, grep -e is required to protect grep
> > from interpreting the -lc as another switch.  (grep returns
> > a 2 for syntax error every time with this configure line)
>
> I'll leave that for someone else to answer; I'm guessing its some
> sort of portability issue.

Thank you for the reply.  I compiled and installed gnu-grep-2.4.2
and it passed all its tests.  I then tried

     grep '-lc' make.log
     grep -lc make.log

Both fail, but don't return to a prompt, they go into "sleeping"
mode apparently from a truss output I did.  I then tried

     grep -e -lc make.log

and it works.  It's my conclusion that grep -e is the correct syntax.
Too bad I can't get anyone at libtool to care, but as I mentioned
I'm not running Linux.  I often get little respect for my OS.  I'm
used to it at this point.

> > Please advise.  I can't get any response from the bug-libtool
> > list so far, and I'm not sure the best way to fix all six configures
> > that are in that distro.  Thanks.
> > Matthew
>
> The proper place will likely be libtool.m4 (provided the problem is in
> a libtool-related configure test); any changes to that file will
> propagate to all configure scripts after running the bootstrap script
> in the top of the libtool tree.

That's the piece of info I was missing.  I made a patch for libtool.m4
and used autoconf to recreate configure, but it didn't propogate to all
the subdirectories.  Apparently there's some sort of bootstrap script
that you mentioned.  Maybe if I download the cvs build, I'll find it
in there?  Do people use the same name for the bootstraping script in
general?

I guess you don't really have to answer those, I can figure it out,
but I thought I'd ask.  Thanks again,
Matt