Re: DOS path

From: John Poltorak
Subject: Re: DOS path
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:49:01 +0000

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 03:07:41PM +0100, Tim Van Holder wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 14:09, John Poltorak wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:31:06PM +0100, Tim Van Holder wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I have this line (with -E) in config.site, but config.log shows:-
> >

> > PATH: c:\us in
> > PATH: c:\emx in
> > PATH: c:\usr\loca in
> > PATH: c:\os2
> > PATH: .
>
> Probably because this is logged before config.site is run.
> Again I must point out that the behaviour of ksh's echo could be
> considered broken; it requires an option to behave 'normally'.

Is there a definitive view on this?

The OS/2 porter of KSH considers that the default mode for ECHO should be
to interpret escape characters rather than ignore them.

> > > I didn't think autoconf itself had a problem; it's a perl script that
> > > runs m4, so any issues are most likely a bug in the Perl/M4 ports and/or
> > > the libc used (in the case of system() calls).
> > > Any special handling would normally only be needed in configure scripts
> > > produced by autoconf, not in autoconf itself.  So config.site is the
> > > right place to do that.
> >
> > What I meant was that I didn't think autoconf derives anything from
> > config.site... If I put PATH=`echo $PATH...` in config.site, it
> > won't make any difference to autoconf. It would be preferable if it did
> > so.
>
> Provided you either used '--prefix foo' (where foo is path under which
> there is a share/config.site file), or set the CONFIG_SITE envvar to
> point to the site file to use, configure will use it for any package.
> In fact, my config.site prepends /dev/env/DJDIR/bin to the path, so that
> DJGPP apps are found in a portable location, and that works fine,
> including for autoconf.

Yes, I have an envvar pointing to CONFIG_SITE, but any variables which it
sets are not applicable to autoconf. What would be useful would be to have
autoconf reading config.site as well.

--
John