Missing macro problems

From: C.J. Collier
Subject: Missing macro problems
Date: 22 Feb 2002 23:03:28 -0800

Hey All,

I'm using Debian Sid and have autoconf 2.52 installed:

$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52

I've been trying to insall the new gnome 2.0 modules from source, but I
keep getting a strange error:

~/cvs/gnome2/pango$ autoconf
autoconf: Undefined macros:

but I don't think it's undefined because of the following:

$ grep -H "AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL" /usr/share/aclocal/aclocal.m4

so I thought I'd read the autoconf info pages and build my own (attached), and I get errors there as well:

$ autoconf error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER

Which is just silly, as these are most probably installed, if I've got
automake installed.  (Which, of course, I do)

and /usr/share/aclocal/header.m4, which does define AM_CONFIG_HEADER,
exists as well as /usr/share/aclocal/init.m4, which does define

Is there a file which I need to modify to show that these macros are
installed?  Is there something I should have gotten from the info files
that I have missed?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience,

C.J. Collier