Re: configure.in vs. configure.ac clash

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: configure.in vs. configure.ac clash
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 16:23:56 +0100

Es schrieb Alexandre Duret-Lutz:

>  gd> while trying to create an rpm for the mp4h project, I jumped on the
>  gd> following problem:
>
>  gd> - the toplevel configure has configure.ac
>  gd> - a subdir libltdl/ is copied in, which contains a configure.in
>  gd> - the rpm macro %configure will expand to a line like
>  gd> CFLAGS=$RPM_CFLAGS configure --prefix ....
>  gd> - the toplevel configure will call the the ltdl/configure using...
>  gd> configure sometarget --prefix... 'CFLAGS=$expanded_RPM_CFLAGS'
>
>  gd> and BOOM.  Yepp, I can fix it while *not* using %configure
>  gd> with the extra CFLAGS settings.
>
> The real fix is to rerun autoconf in both directories to make
> sure the configure is generated by the same version of Autoconf
> (Your libltdl/configure obviously comes from Autoconf 2.13).

sure, but rpm is traditionally made from the original tarball,
and the local distro doesn't ship a 2.52 that I could simply
make as a BuildRequirement to reconf just before %configure.
So in the end, the real fix is to report it as a bug to the
original author and let him make a new tarball.

It's been just interesting to see such interactions between
the versions, I have some superprojects here on my disk which
combine a couple of autoconf'ed projects under a master
project that configures them all in one run. The real projects
are just in subdirectories like here, and some are old autoconf,
some are new generation (it seems some projects have not been
converted or they are not that easy to convert). The issues
as shown above make it not a nice move to have the superproject
to use the new autoconf generation. Personally, for a simple
superproject, that isn't needed anyway - the mp4h however has
used the toplevel configure to do real configstuff for its
src/ subdirectory and it has just added the libltdl/ subdir
to gain support from libtool, later on. That brought in the
current setup, and since its just libtoolizing, the author
has probably opened a trap, and me to hit while trying an rpm.

cheers,
-- guido                                    http://freespace.sf.net/guidod